Sunday, November 7, 2010

You Think It I'll Say It: Perseverance Sometimes Pays Off ...

Dictionary.com defines "Perseverance" as...

1. continued steady belief or efforts, withstanding discouragement or difficulty.

2. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

I've had female friends ask me why...

1. Why is he still calling me, if I told him I'm not interested?
2. Why is he still trying to sleep with me, when I told him I just want to be friends?
3. Why is he still trying to get my number, when I said no the first time?
4. Why is he still asking me out, when I keep telling him I'm busy?

Well ladies, I have the answer to all of those questions and more, in two individual words.

Persistence and Cyclical



Society has taught persistence since as long as the world has been in existence. We've all heard the following phrases at one time or another.


When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

Difficult things take a long time, impossible things a little longer.  ~AndrĂ© A. Jackson


Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it.  The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use.  ~Earl Nightingale

"Persistence pays off."

"Winners never quit and quitters never win."


Of course there are many more than what I've listed, but that's my point. There are 2 billion reasons why people continue striving for what they want and or need.

The second word, Cyclical, is what I believe all humans fall under. Yes today; no tomorrow; maybe the next day.



For whatever reason you'd like to speculate, we all have had moments of decision changes and inconsistency.

I believe that's why people don't give up when you want them to or thing they should. My saying is, "For every person that said, "NO" and meant it; There are two people that said, "NO" and meant, "not now" or "not today".


That being said, if you want what you SAY to have permanent meaning, you have to MAKE it that way. The next time you say something, put permanent action behind it and that may relieve some of the stress of having to repeat yourself.

Keep in mind though, if you are the person that says, "NO," but says, "YES" to the exact same request, from the exact same person two weeks later, you may be causing your own problems. You may be building the reputation of, "He/She is just a talker!"

1 comment:

  1. I will have to keep this in mind as I am always saying no, no, no, no and eventually giving in, only to complain about giving in. Though no matter what I do I still hope he'll say let me ask her one more time. Maybe that's all it is, just knowing he is there. I know I'm a head case.

    ReplyDelete

Constructive criticism is the beginning of my advancement, so feel free to assist me on the road to perfection! Speak your mind...